A Circle In The Fire - A Tribute to Flannery O'Connor
Shenandoah was founded in 1950 by a group of Washington and Lee University faculty members and undergraduates, Tom Wolfe among them. For a brief time it was primarily an undergraduate magazine, but under the leadership of student editor Tom Carter Shenandoah became a quarterly, publishing a cast of international writers including e e cummings, Dylan Thomas, W. H. Auden, James Merrill, Ezra Pound, William Faulkner and Flannery O’Connor. From the 60’s to the 80’s, Washington and Lee faculty member James Boatwright expanded the journal and published occasional theme issues, including a 35th anniversary anthology. In 1995, R. T. Smith was selected as the first full-time editor of the journal, which in 2002 began to appear triannually. It has been since 2011 a web journal (shenandoah.literary.org) published semi-annually with several features updated regularly.